I’m delving into food trends again so here are some thoughts on the most important food related trends for 2009.
2. Health & wellbeing
3. Comfort eating (including indulgence and treats)
4. Cooking at home and home baking (to save money)
5. Regional & seasonal foods (including micro-regional)
6. Polarization between low cost and premium (but shifting to value)
8. Organics and Chemical free foods (but on the decline currently)
9. Food labeling (what’s exactly is in it? Where’s it from etc)
10. Small plate dining and big bowls
Some other trends bubbling under the surface include; small plate dining, fair trade foods, probiotics, cheaper cuts of meat, cup cakes, sponge cakes, heritage vegetables, miniaturization, growing your own food, raw food, bistro cuisine, tap water, postal delivery of food, modern and fusion updates of India, Mexican and African food, steaming and braising, sherry, cider, vinegar, fancy salt, nuts, fixed-price dining, noodles, smoked meats, gastro-pubs, ginger, house made charcuterie, rustic food, cinnamon, turmeric, tarragon and alternative sweeteners (e.g. Stevia and Agave nectar).